I loved Hawaii when I visited my brother a few years ago and the beauty of the island will always have a place in my heart. I wanted to make a little party for the movie release and was trying to narrow down which elements I wanted to highlight. It was difficult because I really loved everything I saw in the preview trailer, but I was doubly inspired to make this lantern as a perfect touch for the table.
A few weeks ago hubby and I got to travel to New York and, of course, I found my way into a Disney store! There were 2 levels and going up the escalator, there were dozens of beautiful lanterns hanging from the ceiling celebrating the anticipated release of the movie. I was blown away! And I absolutely wanted to try to make some myself 🙂
DIY Moana Lanterns
- Sun stencil
- Card stock (4 per lantern)
- Bamboo skewers (12 per lantern)
- Hot glue gun + sticks
- Yellow + orange craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Fishing line
- Print out sun image on card stock and cut out details to make the stencil.
2. Cut your 4 card stock pieces into 7.75″ by 8.5″ squares. You’ll want a little overlap on the long (8.5″) sides to curl around the bamboo skewer when you glue the panel into place 🙂
3. Lay the stencil over your square. Paint your sun.
4. Cut tips off bamboo skewers to make a length of 8″. Overlapping the ends of the skewers, hot glue the ends to secure together. Make 2 squares.
5. Glue a skewer inside the corners of the 2 separate frames to join together. Repeat with the other 3 skewers to make a box.
6. Slightly curl the short (7.75″) ends of the panel to fit the frame.
7. Glue the lantern panel to the wood frame.
8. Use fishing line (or twine) to tie across the frame and hang the lanterns!
If you want to make these lanterns with a light inside, add 2 parallel bamboo skewers to the bottom part of the lantern and glue a flameless candle to the top side of the double skewers. Check out the Pinterest board for tons of Moana party ideas!