It’s time for a movie night! This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. It features products that I truly enjoy and all opinions, including the one that says Jack Black is a really funny guy, are mine alone. #MakeItAMovieNight #CollectiveBias #ad
Ok, so confession…I really, really love(d) R.L. Stine and some of the best moments of my youth involve those Scholastic Book Club order forms where I could order as many books as I wanted. Remember those?? I made sure I kept my grades up because my reward was being allowed to buy more books! And I always went straight for anything written by Mr. Stine; Goosebumps and Fear Street were the first ones on the form! I’m pretty sure that guy started my obsession with horror movies…and I guess the theme of movie night doesn’t change much as we age, huh?
I was sad that I missed in the movies, so when the Goosebumps DVD came out, I was geeked! Forget the fact that I’m 30+ years old…seriously, forget about that…because I couldn’t wait to see it! Since we don’t have kids of our own, hubby and I headed over to spend the evening with friends and we made it a movie night!
“R.L. Stine…What ever happened to that guy?”
I usually take my younger nephew and niece to kiddie films so I don’t look super awkward, but we hung out with our bestie’s kiddos for this one. They love to eat, being teen boys and all, so we made it a movie night with Monster Blood Floats and Monster Mash popcorn balls! These snacks were a hit with the whole family…and I clearly ate too many of the popcorn balls, but it was so worth it!
The prep work for our evening in started with a quick trip to our local Walmart. Most of the ingredients we had on hand, but we still needed the stuff to make it a REAL movie night! We grabbed a 6-pack of Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Popcorn Bowls, a 6-pack of Coca-Cola 1/2L bottles, a 3.5 oz container of plain M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, as well as, blood orange sorbet and strawberry syrup. Most of the items were very easy to find, but the M&M’S® Chocolate Candies had me searching a bit. I finally found them in the checkout lanes…you know, where they put the stuff that you have to have before you go.
You know you need it…
We decided to go with something quick and easy that kids can help make. I guess it’s just as well, since pre/teen brothers tend to eat quite a bit… Our snacks for the night were Monster Blood Floats and Monster Mash Popcorn Balls!
Making the Monster Mash Popcorn Balls was pretty simple, once we had all of the ingredients. Oh, Perry Spencer, your invention of the microwave makes life so much easier…
Monster Mash Popcorn Balls
- Pop 2 bowls of Orville Redenbacher popcorn.
- Pour the popcorn into a large bowl, making sure to remove any unpopped kernels. Add 3.5 ounces of plain M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, using clean hands to mix into popcorn.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 stick of butter for 30 sec. Add 4-5 cups of mini marshmallows to the butter and melt for 90 sec more.
- Stir the butter and marshmallows until smooth. Add several drops of green food coloring and stir.
- Let the marshmallow mixture cool just a bit and pour over the popcorn + M&M’S® Chocolate Candies. Using a spatula, stir everything up to make sure that the popcorn and candy are coated with the marshmallow mix.
- Putting a little cooking lard (or water) on your hands to keep the mix from sticking, grab handfuls of the popcorn mix and form into balls. Set aside on parchment paper to cool.
I have tiny hands, so I got about 15 popcorn balls…not including the ones I nibbled on before I could share, but that’s not important…
Of course we needed some liquid refreshment to wash it down, so we made Monster Blood Floats! Here’s what we used:
- 6-pack Coca-Cola 1/2L bottles
- blood orange sorbet
- strawberry syrup
Check out this video and see how quick and easy it is!
- Put a bit of strawberry syrup in the bottom of the glass.
- Fill the glass about 3/4 of the way with Coca-Cola and stir.
- Add 1-2 scoops of blood orange sorbet (or whatever ice cream you prefer!)
- Top with more strawberry syrup.
- Enjoy the show!
It was fun to watch this with our “nephews” and sit down as a family. They were tickled to discover that I’ve known about R.L. Stine and had been reading his books longer than they’d been alive! Man, I’m getting up there… Even their parents were really into it and laughing! I won’t post any spoilers but this one will definitely be watched again!
Are you excited to have a movie night with your family? Hubby and I love to go out to the movies, but it can get expensive. There are only 2 of us and sometimes it stretches the budget, so I can imagine treating a whole family to a movie… To help you out, Vudu has a great deal for you! Here’s what you gotta do:
- Buy all 4 participating products listed in one transaction at Walmart by 2/2/16 (Products: Orville Redenbacher 6-pack popcorn, M&M’S® Chocolate Candies, 6-pack Coca-Cola 1/2L bottles, and an awesome Sony Movie)
- Snap a picture of your receipt and visit uploadreceipt.com/movienight to submit your receipt by 2/9/16
- Get a $10 Vudu movie code* by email for a downloadable movie
*While supplies last. Limit 1 per person.
Which movie will you choose? I can’t wait to hear which one you and your family picked! And if you snag a copy of Goosebumps, definitely let me know how much you love it!